Friday, April 26, 2013

Danville's Old Forge Brewery

Danville may be a small, sleepy town, but thankfully it has a microbrew pub in it.  Not only that, but said establishment is a 2 minute walk from my front door.  The Old Forge Brewery is a nice place to relax, have a brew or two, eat some fresh, local grub and catch live music on Thursday evenings.  Warren and I first went to OFB when we were here in November for my interview trip.  Between the welcoming atmosphere and smooth, tasty beers, I knew that I could happily live in Danville, PA for a few years.  We went back to the brewery during our house-hunting trip over Valentine's day of this year.  Again, Old Forge delivered (complete with seasonal chocolate brew), plus we got to enter into their Valentine's Day gift basket drawings.  I got a call from OFB a few days after we had returned to Denver, letting me know that I had won one of the drawings.  It was for the nail salon gift basket.  I picked up the basket a month later.  Luckily, the pair of beer glasses, gift certificate, beer cozies and Valentine sweet treats hadn't expired.  I've redeemed my gift certificate.  The pedicure was fine, though nothing to write home about...literally (hehe).

I took my mom there during the week she helped me move in.  This was just after St. Patrick's day.  They had a delicious Irish Draught on nitro.  It was smooth and creamy without being heavy.  I ordered one at lunch, and after sampling it, my mom had to order one too.  What a treat for us!  They don't sell nitro beers in growlers, so that's forced me to try some of their perennial beers.  They have a nice blonde, red and porter (and IPA for "hop heads").  Thus far, Warren and I have brought home three of their growlers.  For those of you who are familiar with the microbrew scene in Colorado, I would say Old Forge's beer style is a mix between Oskar Blues and O'Dell, with a food style (and come to think of it, beer too) reminiscent of Mountain Sun.

So far, I've only talked about beer.  They also make three homemade sodas: birch beer, root beer and cherry.  I've only had the birch beer (tastes a lot like sarsaparilla), but based on how delectable it was, my guess is the others are just as good.  There is also a bar tender there who now recognizes myself and Warren.  Her boyfriend is an emergency medicine resident at Geisinger.  They're originally from Oregon, he did his medical schooling at CU (same school as me) and they've been in Danville for two years.  It was nice to have commonalities to bond over.  Needless to say, it's great to have a quality, friendly place to walk to when we don't feel like cooking, or just want to relax and drink a cold beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment